Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Republican YouTube Debate: Literal Interpretation of the Bible Pt. 3, Mike Huckabee

Mike Huckabee can't make up his mind about his weight. I wonder if he would be able to decide whether or not to kill Osama Bin Laden? America can't afford a flip-flopper, not now.

Huckabee, a Baptist minister, spit out a canned answer. It echoed Rudy’s claim that the Bible was allegorical, while explaining that the parts that didn’t make sense to him despite years of theological study, weren’t supposed to.


Do we want a president an intellectually vacant as that? I suppose since most Americans believe the bible is literal, they would agree with Huckabee, but I argue that it is obvious to see that The Bible is the work of men. I’ve known that my entire life. I have never believed God wrote the bible. How could he? As a kid I thought how is it possible that infallible God wrote a book I couldn’t understand. My parents explained it was because it was written so long ago in strange hard to read language, and right then I realized it was manmade. If god made it, he would have written it to have universal meaning, not one limited to a time frame. The older I grew, even if I believed in a Christian god, I still believed it was the work of men. Think about it, if God wrote The Bible wouldn’t it at least be interesting?

Regardless, Huckabee’s answer, easy, without controversy and soaked in religious code-language, was a result of his comfortable relationship with religion. His ministerial status gives him unparalleled religious legitimacy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!